Counseling Internship ProgramThe Compton College Counseling Internship (3CI) Program is designed to support interns by helping them prepare for a counseling role in the California community college system. Interns will practice cultural competence, holistic counseling, and career development. The 3CI Program is committed to growing and developing candidates who will be a guiding force for our diverse student population. Our program is aligned with our campus Vision, Mission, and Strategic Initiatives that support the success of all students.
Under the direction of the Dean of Counseling and Guided Pathways and working closely with full-time counselors, interns will provide counseling, career guidance and advisement services for students to help them determine their educational, career technical education (CTE), and personal goals. Interns will help students to identify, mitigate and/or remove whatever factors exist as impediments to possible success in the areas of academic, CTE, and/or personal achievements.
DutiesThe 3CI Program is unpaid and focuses on counseling at the community college level. Program commitments and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in providing academic, career, and social counseling to a diverse community college student population.
- Participate in registration, new student orientation sessions, classroom presentations, early alert, and outreach activities.
- Provide information and referrals to programs and services such as, but not limited to: student athletes, EOPS/CARE, SRC, and CalWORKs.
- Participate in counseling faculty responsibilities including meetings, committee work, and professional development.
- Other counseling duties assigned as related to the accomplishment of a program or activities.
The Eligibility of Counseling Internships
Please understand that due to staffing demands and responsibilities, Compton College may only be able to accommodate a maximum number of interns per semester. However, depending on the semester and workloads within the college, there is the possibility of not being able to accommodate any interns during any given semester.
EligibilityCompton College accepts Graduate students that are currently registered or have completed a degree from an accredited college or university in the following areas: Master’s degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling, OR the equivalent.
If a candidate is currently pursuing a degree, they must meet one of the following requirements by the start date of the counseling internship program;
- Enrolled in a graduate level course(s) at an accredited college or university that requires an internship/field work/field study/practicum.
- Completed first year of graduate program and enrolled for the following term.
- Recommended that counseling theories course requirement is met.
- Compton College strongly prefers candidates that are pursuing a career in higher education counseling, preferably at a community college.
Compton College will determine the number of interns that it can accommodate per semester based on resources available to accommodate the needs of the internship.
If selected for the internship, the candidate must commit to the 1-semester unpaid internship and attend all training.
Training3CI Interns will be required to attend the following training sessions:
- Onboarding: Friday, August 18, 2023 (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Bi-weekly Training: Every other Friday (11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.) September 8 - December 1, 2023
Application ProcessAll potential candidates must submit the 3CI Program application and supporting documentation through iGreentree. The application will include the following requirements:
- Unofficial Transcripts (Graduate Unofficial Transcripts)
We will highlight our Compton College Counseling Internship Program for Fall 2023.
Participants will be able to ask our counselors questions about their role and experience.
We highly encourage students who are interested in the community college setting to
attend for a better understanding of the counseling intern role. Please join us for
our Zoom Information session to learn more about the unpaid internship, program requirements,
and application timeline.
Zoom link: bit.ly/3CIFall2023
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.