Guaranteed Income Program (GIP)
The Compton College Guaranteed Income Program provides eligible CalWORKs and CARE students $500 a month for six months (three months in fall and three months in spring). As the first Guaranteed Income Program offered in higher education, Compton College intends to empower the CalWORKs and CARE student population by reducing their financial stressors and increase their autonomy in having the ability to choose their education. Funds awarded do not count against your cash aid. Student eligibility is reviewed on a first come first served basis.
- Identify Compton College as your primary educational institution while in the program
- Be eligible for the CalWORKs or CARE Program
- Be registered in a minimum of 3 units during program participation
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 throughout program participation
- Have an updated comprehensive educational plan on file
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) with award letter on file
- Meet with your CalWORKs or CARE counselor before making any changes to your class schedule
- Mandatory participation in GIP orientation within the first six weeks of the semester you have been invited to participate. If you are not able to make the set dates of orientation, assure to reach out to our office BEFORE the event to request possible accommodations. If you do not complete orientation before the six week deadline, you will be ineligible to participate in the program.
- Mandatory completion of four CalWORKs, CARE, or Student Success Center tutoring workshop sessions (4 hour throughout the semester).
- If you are unable to complete eligibility requirements in the fall and fail to communicate with our program staff, you will be ineligible to participate in spring. We care about you and want to see you thrive, COMMUNICATION IS KEY!
- Yes, if you are eligible for the program at the start of the semester, you will receive an email indicating your eligibility and next steps.
- Please contact us if you believe you are eligible for the program and/or have questions regarding participation.
Funds will be disbursed in the fall and spring semester. Financial Aid Department disbursement dates are listed below.
|Friday, October 20
|Friday, November 17
|Friday, December 8
|Friday, March 22
|Friday, April 26
|Friday, May 24
How will I receive funds?
- Funds will be issued through your Bank Mobile account.
- If your Bank Mobile is set up for direct deposit to your personal bank account, it will take 2-3 business days for you to receive funds.
- If you do not have direct deposit set-up through Bank Mobile it may take longer.
- If you need additional support with Bank Mobile, please contact the Compton College Financial Aid Office.
- Location: Student Services Building, room 170, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone Number: 310-900-1600 ext. 2935, or Cranium Cafe.
How long will I receive funds?
- Students are encouraged to connect with a GIP representative to review your individual status.
The main contacts for the program are:
Libby Martinez, CARE Coordinator, email@example.com
Christine Aldrich, Director of EOPS/CARE/Next-Up, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Arauz, CalWORKs Program Specialist, email@example.com
Dr. Michelle Garcia, Director of CalWORKs/TANF/GAIN, firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information, you can also contact our main offices:
CalWORKs: email@example.com or (310) 900-1600, x2072
EOPS/CARE: firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 900- 1600, x2912