Header Image
Compton College / Student Services / Financial Aid / STATE AID PROGRAMS

state aid programs

Fee Waiver

California College Promise Grant (CCPG) - formerly known as Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOG)

IMPORTANT: Beginning Fall 2019, the name of the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOG) will be changing to the California College Promise Grant (CCPG). The requirements will remain the same, and the type of aid will also remain the same - students will not physically receive the funds, the funding will be available to remove enrollment fees.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) - formerly known as the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver - is a state sponsored program that waives enrollment fees for qualifying students who are California residents. The CCPG is only available at California Community Colleges. CCPG applicants do not have to be enrolled in a minimum number of units - whether you take 1 unit or 21 units, your enrollment fees will be waived. CCPG applicants only need to apply once per year for the fees to be waived for the academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer).

The CCPG pays for enrollment fees only. Students are responsible for all other fees that apply (health fee, course material fees, parking permit, student ID, etc.). Assistance for the purchase of books and supplies must be applied for separately by submitting a FAFSA or Dream Act application.

How to Apply

To apply for the CCPG, students must complete the application, which can be accessed through the financial aid website. Students may qualify under different methods. Students only need to qualify for one method to have their fees waived. Students who submit a CCPG application may also need to submit proof of prior year income, such as 1040 Federal tax return and W2s. Electronic signatures for the CCPG application are available for dependent student's parents.

  • Method A - designed for students on public assistance programs: TANF/CalWORKs, SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Program), SSAI, SSAS, or General Assistance. Certification must be obtained from the appropriate agency and documentation will be required to verify your eligibility. Most documentation must be dated within the last 60 days. Students apply for this method through myGateway.
  • Method B - designed for low-income students whose PPY (prior prior year) income was within qualifying income guidelines. Students apply for this method through myGateway. Federal tax returns may be required.
  • Method C - awarded to students who applied through the FAFSA or Dream Act application and demonstrate a financial need of $1,104 or more. Students who qualify under Method C do not need to complete a separate CCPG application via myGateway.
  • Method D - designed for students under the age of 25 who can verify that they have been without residence (homeless) in the last 24 months. They will select "yes" on the application in myGateway and provide proof to the Financial Aid Office for verification.
  • Method F - designed for Dependents of Disabled or Deceased California Veterans or National Guard, recipients and children of recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor, or dependents of victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. Certification must be obtained from the appropriate agency and documentation will be required to verify your eligibility. Most documentation must be dated within the last 60 days.

Additional Information

  • The Financial Aid office reviews your application.
  • You must be a California resident.
  • The CCPG will cover fall, winter, spring, and summer semesters.
  • The CCPG only covers enrollment fees, it is not a book award or book grant, and it is not a loan.
  • If you apply for the CCPG after you pay your fees, you may be reimbursed, as long as you complete and submit your application prior to the end of the semester. Reimbursement comes in the form of a check in the mail from the Bursars office.
  • If a student is determined later to have been ineligible for a CCPG who was already awarded, the CCPG will be automatically cancelled and the fees reassessed to the student's account.

Requirements for the CCPG Fee Waiver

The CCPG requires students to meet Academic and Progress Standards:

  • Academic Standard: a CCPG recipient must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher.
  • Progress Standard: a student must complete more than 50% of cumulative courses attempted.

All students must maintain both standards to continue to receive the CCPG. If these standards are not met for two consecutive semesters, then the students will lose their CCPG eligibility. Current and former foster youth 24 years old or younger are exempt from the Academic and Progress standards.


Cal Grants

Cal Grants are offered by the State of California and administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Like Pell Grants, Cal Grants do not have to be repaid. Cal Grants are available for undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least six units per semester. You may not receive Cal Grant funds from more than one college at a time. To apply for a Cal Grant, you will need to complete the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act Application.

How to Apply

To apply for a Cal Grant, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Dream Act application by March 2nd each year. You must also submit a GPA Verification Form to the state on or before March 2nd each year. If you are a current student at Compton College and have earned 16-24 units from Compton College, we will electronically submit your GPA verification. If either of these post-mark dates are missed, you will not be considered for a Cal Grant.

There are four types of Cal Grants that a student might receive at Compton College:

  1. Cal Grant A – designed for students transferring to a four-year college/university in California. If you receive a Cal Grant A, you will not receive funds while at Compton College, unless you are pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Funeral Service. However, you can put the grant on reserve until you transfer from Compton College to a four-year school.
  2. Cal Grant B Entitlement – designed for financially needy students who graduated from high school and who meet the grade point average and family income asset requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,672 per year while you are attending Compton College.
  3. Cal Grant B Competitive – designed for students who meet the academic, family, income, and disadvantaged background requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,672 per year while you are attending Compton College.
  4. Cal Grant C – Is only for two-year vocational students. The maximum Cal Grant C award at Compton College is $1,094 per year.

How will I know if I'm awarded a Cal Grant?

If you file a FAFSA or Dream Act application and the GPA verification was submitted to the CSAC, you will receive a Cal Grant notification letter directly from the CSAC.

Once Compton College receives the Cal Grant roster from the CSAC, we will confirm your eligibility prior to awarding and disbursing your Cal Grant.

Can I switch and receive different types of Cal Grant?

No. Once you have received your Cal Grant (A, B, or C), you cannot change your type of Cal Grant in the following years.

If you don't want to receive your Cal Grant and save it - you can request a "Leave of Absence" for up to 2 years. This can be done through WebGrants 4 Students.

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) and the Community College Completion Grant (CCCG) will combine into one award named the Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) beginning in the 2018-19 academic year.

Cal Grant recipients may be eligible to receive up to $4,000 per year. Each semester's disbursement will be based on the student's enrollment, which must be at least full-time in order to receive a disbursement. Students enrolled in 12 units or more (but less than 15 units) will be eligible to receive $649 for the semester. Students enrolled in 15 or more units will be eligible to receive $2,000 for the semester.

Eligible students for this grant must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Must be receiving a Cal Grant Award
  2. Must enroll in 12 or more units per semester by the "Freeze Date".
  3. Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. Click to view the CC SAP Policy

Students, who qualified for the SSCG, are encouraged to meet with their academic counselor to ensure that they have a comprehensive Student Education Plan and are on track to complete their program within the timeframe outlined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Click this link for more information: Student Success Completion Grant

Chafee Grant

The Chafee Grant is available for former foster youth students who were in foster care between the ages of 16-18 years old. Students must be between the ages of 18-22, meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), and must be enrolled in at least six units. Students who are eligible for this grant receive $5,000 annually.

WebGrants 4 Students (WGS)

WebGrants 4 Students (WGS) is your portal for Cal Grant, Chafee and Middle Class Scholarship awards. The California Student Aid Commission contacts students via email so it is critical that you keep this information current on your WGS account.



Back to top