AB 540 and Undocumented Student Resources
If you are a student who identifies as undocumented or AB 540 and are pursuing a college education, this page can help you understand how to access and resources and support at Compton College.
We had an overwhelming response to the Emergency Grant. The application is now closed. Thank you for your interest, please visit the Student Resources page for more information on resources available to Compton College students.
What is AB 540?
AB 540 is a law that provides in-state tuition benefits for undocumented and out-of-state students who attend or will attend a public university in California. To qualify for AB 540 status, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years
- Student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (GED or CA HS Proficiency exam)
- Student must be enrolled in an accredited California Institution of Higher Education
- Student must file a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form that includes an affidavit stating they have filed (or will file) an application to legalize as soon as they are able to do so. Completed forms must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office located in the Student Services Center.
- Submit a copy of your high school diploma and sealed high school transcripts to the Compton College Admissions office for verification.
If students meet the AB 540 criteria, please visit the Admissions and Records office to submit completed forms. After submittal, students may apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG- formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) that will pay for classes if they meet all other criteria. The CCPG should only be submitted once at Compton College. Please note: student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required by law.
|Resident (in-state) Tuition||$46 per unit|
|Non-Resident (out-of-state) Tuition||$285 per unit + $46 per unit|
To receive email notifications about events please sign up for Undocu Alerts.
Frequently Asked Questions
View FAQs regarding undocumented/AB 540 students