Header Image
Compton College / Student Services / Financial Aid / AB 540

Welcome Students Banner

AB 540 and Undocumented Student Resources

If you are a student who identifies as undocumented or AB 540 and are pursuing a college education, this page can help you understand how to access and resources and support at Compton College.

What is AB 540?

AB 540 is a law that provides in-state tuition benefits for undocumented and out-of-state students who attend or will attend a public university in California. To qualify for AB 540 status, students must meet the following eligibility requirements: 

  1. Student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years
  2. Student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (GED or CA HS Proficiency exam)
  3. Student must be enrolled in an accredited California Institution of Higher Education
  4. Student must file a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form that includes an affidavit stating they have filed (or will file) an application to legalize as soon as they are able to do so. Completed forms must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office located in the Student Services Center.
  5. Submit a copy of your high school diploma and sealed high school transcripts to the Compton College Admissions office for verification.

If students meet the AB 540 criteria, please visit the Admissions and Records office to submit completed forms. After submittal, students may apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG- formerly known as the BOG Fee Waiver) that will pay for classes if they meet all other criteria. The CCPG should only be submitted once at Compton College. Please note: student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required by law.

Resident (in-state) Tuition $46 per unit
Non-Resident (out-of-state) Tuition $320 per unit + $46 per unit

Email Notifications

To receive email notifications about events please sign up for Undocu Alerts.

Frequently Asked Questions

View FAQs regarding undocumented/AB 540 students.

CHIRLA ServicesFREE Immigration Legal Services

Schedule an appointment with the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA). Click on the logo above for more information.  For more information, email studentlegalservices@chirla.org.

CHRLA Compton Flyer

Back to top