English and Math Placement
A recent law (Assembly Bill 705) in the state of California requires Compton College to place students into English and Math classes based on high school performance and transcripts. A student's high school performance is a strong predictor of success in transfer-level courses.
Watch this important video that explains your rights related to placement in math and English courses at California Community Colleges.
Although all students have the right to enroll in English 101, the following courses are highly recommended based on high school GPA after the 11th grade within the past 10 years:
- High School GPA 2.6 or higher - English 101+
- High School GPA 1.91 to 2.59 - English 101+ AND English 101S*, a support class
- High School GPA 1.9 or below - English RWA^ prior to taking English 101+
* This symbol indicates the English course is 2 units.
^ This symbol indicates the English course is 5 units.
Students in non-STEM fields such as Health and Public Services; Social Sciences; Fine Arts, Communications and Humanities; and Business and Industrial Studies have the right to enroll in transfer level math. However, it is highly recommended that students enroll based on high school GPA after the 11th grade and within the past 10 years. Please check with a counselor for the class most appropriate to your major.
- High School GPA 3.0 or higher - Math 110++, 120+, 130++, 140*, 150*
- High School GPA 2.3 to 2.99 - Math 110+, 120++, 130+++ 13C+, 140*, 150+15c+*
- High School GPA less than 2.3 - Math 65^, 73^, 80^
+ This symbol indicated the math course is 2 units.
++ This symbol indicates the math course is 3 units.
* This symbol indicates the math course is 4 units
^ This symbol indicates the math course is 5 units.
Students in STEM fields such as Biology, Chemistry, and Math are also eligible to enroll in transfer level math however, it is highly recommended that students enroll based on high school GPA within the past 10 years as follows. It is also recommended that students meet with a counselor to determine the class most appropriate to the major.
- High School GPA 3.4 or higher - Math 165^, 170++
- High School GPA 2.6 to 3.39 - Math 170++ + 17c+
- High School GPA less than 2.6 - Math 60*, 80^
Prerequisite Clearance Request
If you believe you have met a prerequisite for a course(s), you may submit a Prerequisite Clearance Request. For more information regarding the steps, please visit the Prerequisite Clearance Request page.