June 22, 2020
Today was the first day of classes for the first six-week and eight-week summer sessions, and enrollment continues to improve for summer 2020. The President/CEO Message - June 22, 2020, includes COVID-19 information and other campus-related updates.
Compton College COVID-19 Update - June 22, 2020
As of June 20, 2020, there are a total of 173,824 positive cases and 5,495 deaths in California. For more information, go to www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019. Compton College continues to operate at Level Four - Severe Infection Rate, according to the Compton CCD Pandemic Outbreak - Emergency Operations Plan. We are currently examining our operation level and will communicate any changes in our operation level in future President/CEO Message.
Essential Functions Schedule Update
The Essential Employee Schedule was updated on June 15, 2020, and is available here. Beginning Monday, July 6, 2020, the Maintenance & Operations staff will be on campus Monday-Thursday. Please note, for those employees authorized to be on campus, the campus closes at 6:30 p.m. The Maintenance & Operations staff are allowed on campus past 6:30 p.m., with the last shift ending at 8:30 p.m.
Eventual Return to Campus
In preparation for the gradual return of employees to campus, the following steps have been taken by the Maintenance & Operations Department as part of the Eventual Return to Campus Plan.
- MERV 13 filters have been installed in the Child Development Center, Library-Student Success Center, as well as the Allied Health, Math/Science, and Vocational Technology buildings. Kool Running Air Conditioning serviced the remaining buildings, and those filters will be replaced quarterly.
- Compton CCD purchased three e-misters to disinfect the buildings on campus. On June 15, 2020, the Maintenance & Operations staff were trained on proper usage of the e-misters. One e-mister will cover 58,000 square feet per hour per bucket of disinfectant. It would take approximately 2.5 hours and seven buckets of disinfectant to disinfect the nearly 400,000 square feet of interior building space. All Compton CCD buildings will be cleaned weekly by the Maintenance & Operations Department.
- Beginning Monday, July 6, 2020, the Maintenance & Operations staff will clean open restrooms hourly.
Employee Requests to Come to Campus
Employees requesting to come to campus for any length of time, must obtain approval from their manager/supervisor first, then email their request to the Chief of Police, Ramund Box, at firstname.lastname@example.org, a minimum of 48-hours before their arrival, for approval. In your emailed request, provide the date and time of your visit to campus as well as the location you will be accessing. You will be required to follow the social distancing protocol, which includes wearing a face covering while performing duties that involve contact with others.
On June 17, 2020, students were sent fall 2020 registration and schedule information via their @compton.edu email. All student emails are available online on the Spring 2020/COVID-19-Related Student Information webpage.
Summer Enrollment Update
As of today, June 22, 2020, Compton College has generated 475 (2.9 % increase compared to summer 2019) Full-Time Equivalent Students for summer 2020. Our fill rate is at 64% (12.6% increase compared to summer 2019), and our seats filled is 3,479. The first six-week and eight-week summer sessions began today. The second six-week session begins Monday, July 6, 2020.
Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan
At the June 16, 2020, Compton CCD Board of Trustees meeting, the Board approved the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan, which is available here. The overarching purpose of the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan is to:
- develop enrollment goals, which align with and support the College's mission and strategic initiatives;
- ensure student success by expanding access, increasing engagement, and fostering persistence and completion;
- offer students clear Guided Pathways to high-quality courses and programs and the critical support services they need to accomplish their educational and career goals;
- implement objectives and strategies that result in equitable access and outcomes, and thereby, eliminate equity gaps;
- assure fiscal stability by integrating strategic enrollment management into the budget and allocation process;
- ensure that data is used effectively to inform enrollment decisions; and,
- encourage collaboration among departments across the campus to support the enrollment program.
The evaluation parameters for the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan is outlined on page 45 of the document and include three data sources:
- Evaluation of the Institutional Set Goals (These metrics and targets are documented in the Compton College 2024 Comprehensive Master Plan on page 54, as well as our annual evaluation of these metrics)
- Evaluation of outcomes related to the Student-Centered Funding Formula; and,
- Analysis of FTES and fill rates by Guided Pathway Divisions and courses (counts and targets are documented on pages 32 and 33 of the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan).
The first evaluation of the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan will occur in November 2020. I highly encourage you to read the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan. Furthermore, I will request the Compton College managers/supervisors to discuss the Compton College 2024 Enrollment Management Plan at their next department/division meeting.
Collaborative Governance at Compton College Document
Over the past year, Compton College faculty, staff, students, and administrators have worked collaboratively to develop the Collaborative Governance at Compton College document. Collaborative Governance ensures diverse and creative input, transparency, and accountability so that decisions made will drive student success at Compton College. At the June 16, 2020, Board of Trustees meeting, the Board approved the Collaborative Governance at Compton College document. The Collaborative Governance at Compton College document is available here. I highly encourage you to read the Collaborative Governance at Compton College document. Furthermore, I will request the Compton College managers/supervisors to discuss the Collaborative Governance at Compton College document at their next department/division meeting.
2020-2021 Compton Community College District Final Budget
At the June 16, 2020, Compton CCD Board of Trustees meeting, the Board approved the 2020-2021 Compton CCD Tentative Budget, which is available here. Today, June 22, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom and legislative leaders announced that they had reached an agreement on the 2020-2021 California State Budget. We are still gathering information on the budget and the potential impact on Compton CCD. We will provide more details on the 2020-2021 California State Budget and the 2020-2021 Compton CCD Final Budget in a future President/CEO Message.
The 2020-2021 Compton CCD Final Budget will be presented to the Board of Trustees at their Tuesday, September 8, 2020, board meeting for review and recommended approval.
Compton Community College District Board of Trustees Meeting
The next meeting of the Compton CCD Board of Trustees is scheduled for Tuesday, July 21, 2020. The closed session begins at 4:00 p.m., with open session commencing at 5:00 p.m. via Zoom. Information on how to access the Board of Trustees meeting is available here.
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been thinking a lot about the Compton College 2024, 2024 Human Resources Staffing Plan, 2024 Technology Plan, and the 2024 Enrollment Management Plan and how we monitor the goals and objectives in those planning documents to ensure the many activities are completed. I have asked the Institutional Effectiveness Department to develop the Compton College 2024 Action Plan, which will assist us with monitoring our progress toward achieving the goals and objectives outlined in the those planning documents, as well as the activities described in the Integrated Planning Plan (IEPI Planning), Integrated Planning Plan ( IEPI Distance Education), Accreditation Action Plan from our March 2017 accreditation visit, and our Quality Focus Essay Action Plan. We anticipate finalizing the Compton College 2024 Action Plan, sometime in July 2020. This is a significant task for Compton College, however, by developing and monitoring the Compton College 2024 Action Plan, it will strengthen our organization and keep our focus on completing the many Compton College 2024 activities.
Please be safe, and once again, it is truly an honor to serve as your President/CEO.
Keith Curry, Ed.D.
(preferred pronouns: he/him/his)