Header Image
Compton College / Student Services / Financial Aid / APPLYING FOR AID

Financial Aid Applications

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - Apply

Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step toward applying and getting federal and state financial aid for college, career school, or graduate school. The Compton College Financial Aid Office will use your FAFSA data to determine your eligibility for state and school aid.  All students are encouraged to complete and submit a FAFSA by March 2 of each year.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) – formerly known as the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver

Beginning Fall 2019, The name of the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOG) is changing to California College Promise Grant (CCPG). Only the name is changing. All processes and requirements remain the same, and the type of aid will also remain the same – students will not physically receive the funds, the funding will be available to waive enrollment fees.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) –  is a state sponsored program that waives enrollment fees for qualifying students who are California Residents, AB 540 students and eligible AB 1899 students, as determined by the Admissions and Records Office.  Student who meet income and residency criteria may qualify. The CCPG is only available at California Community Colleges. CCPG applicants do not have to be enrolled in a minimum number of units – whether you take 1 unit or 21 units, your enrollment fees will be waived. CCPG applicants only need to apply once per year for the fees to be waived for the academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer).

The CCPG pays for enrollment fees only. Students are responsible for all other fees that apply (health fee, course material fees, parking permit, student ID, etc.). Assistance for the purchase of books and supplies must be applied for separately by submitting a FAFSA or DREAM Act application.

California Dream Act - Apply

The California Dream Act, authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), became law through the passage of two Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131.  

AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.

AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as grants, community college fee waivers, like the Board of Governors Grant (BOG), Cal Grant, and Chafee Grant.

For more information about the types of financial aid Dream Act can access, please see the California Student Aid Commission's website and PowerPoint presentation.

Back to top