Become a Coach
Why did you become an SI Coach?
"To help others who want to succeed." - Dennis (English SI Coach)
"I love to help passionate students master the material and the look on their faces when they get to a higher level of understanding is priceless." - Ify (Physiology SI Coach)
"To give back what was given to me, having SI/tutoring literally changed my life in terms of my academic success." - Tywanna (Math SI Coach)
The SI program at ECC Compton Center starts recruiting a semester in advance. We highly recommend for all students who want to be SI Coaches to take the tutor training course TUTR 200 - Theory/Practice Tutoring
- Enjoy interacting with your peers.
- Have a strong understanding of the curriculum in the course you want to coach. (Pass with A or B
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers, staff, and faculty.
- Be able to commit to work an average of 8-12 hours per week for the entire semester (16 weeks).
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Assist students with course content and academic development.
- A typical work week involves:
- 3 to 5 hours attending lecture
- 2 hours facilitating SI sessions
- 1 hour attending SI staff meeting/training
- Attend all class lectures.
- Plan and facilitate (50 minute), SI sessions that take place outside of class.
- Promote the SI sessions to the class.
- Help students refine learning skills such as note taking, test preparation, problem solving, organization, and group studying.
- Maintain attendance records and submit required paperwork.
- Develop and maintain working partnership with instructor.
- Attend pre-semester and on-going SI Coach training.
Open Positions for spring 2014
- Anatomy 32 - 1 position
- Biology 10 - 1 position
- Business 1A - 1 position
- Chemistry 20 - 1 position
- English 50RR - 1 position
- Geology 1 - 1 position
- History 102 - 1 position
- Math 12 - 1 position
- Math 23 - 1 position
- Math 37 - 1 position
- Math 40 - 1 position
- Math 67 - 1 position
- Math 73 - 1 position
- Nursing 48 - 1 position
- Poli 1 - 1 position
- Span 1 - 1 position