HISTORY OF EL CAMINO COLLEGE COMPTON EDUCATIONAL CENTER
The former Compton Community College was established in 1927 as a component of the Compton Union High School District. In 1950, voters approved a bond issue separating the college from the high school district. The new college campus was then constructed at the present site. After many successful years, and several challenging years, in June 2005 the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges announced its decision to revoke Compton Collegeâ€™s accreditation.
In August 2006, the El Camino Community College District Board of Trustees approved a Memorandum of Understanding to provide educational and related support services to the Compton Community College District residents.
El Camino College provides accredited instructional and related support, in addition to administrative services, to meet the needs of Compton Center students. El Camino College courses are taught at El Camino College Compton Center by Compton faculty.
Administration at Compton Center is led by the Superintendent/President of El Camino College. The Vice President, Compton Center, oversees the daily operations at El Camino College Compton Center.
Through the agreement, residents of the Compton Community College District continue to have access to university transfer and career and technical education opportunities, as well as financial aid, basic skills courses and related support services, right in their own neighborhood.