HONORS COURSE CREDIT
Students at El Camino College Compton Center can earn honors course credit in transfer-level
classes by completing an approved Honors Contract. Please refer to the Honors Course Credit Packet for detailed information and requirements.
HONORS TRANSFER PROGRAM
While you do not have to be a member of the Honors Transfer Program (HTP) to earn
honors course credit at El Camino College Compton Center, those who qualify for HTP
membership are encouraged to join, as there are significant advantages for students
who are pursuing a university degree, including preferred admission and other benefits.
Details about the Honors Transfer Program membership requirements and the application process are available in the 2016-17 HTP Student Handbook.
Applications are welcome at any time.
WHAT IS THE HONORS TRANSFER PROGRAM?
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) at El Camino College Compton Center is designed
to better prepare the highly motivated student to transfer successfully to a university
and complete a bachelor's degree.
The HTP provides a unique learning environment that stresses academic excellence and develops the awareness necessary to achieve this goal. The major objective of the program is to prepare students to transfer by focusing on advanced reading, writing, critical thinking, and study skills. Honors courses are academically enriched to stimulate students intellectually, encourage independent critical thinking, and promote close interaction between students and faculty.
Honors courses fit into requirements of various associate degrees, as well as requirements needed to transfer to the University of California, California State University, and most other universities. Generally, students in the HTP complete the same number of courses as other students planning to transfer.
Top 10 Reasons to Become a Member of the Honors Transfer Program
- Priority admission consideration for universities
- Priority registration for ECC Compton Center classes
- Personalized research projects for each class
- Increased interaction with transfer counselors
- Informative workshops designed to help you succeed at ECC Compton Center and when you transfer
- UCLA application "alternate major" option - increase your chances of being accepted to UCLA!
- Permanent notation of honors participation on your ECC Compton Center transcript
- Close academic and social interaction with other highly motivated honors students - build a network of peers with similar goals.
- Increased chances of receiving scholarships and internships.
- Special opportunities to conduct and present undergraduate research - stand out on your university application!
Honors Transfer Program Coordinator
Office Location: G 39D
310-900-1600, ext. 2558